November is National Adoption Awareness Month and National Adoption Day is Saturday, November 23rd. The awareness day was founded by Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption, Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute, Alliance for Children’s Rights and Children’s Action Network in 2000 and is now celebrated nationwide.
According to nationaladoptionday.org, “National Adoption Day is a collective effort to raise awareness of the more than 125,000 children waiting to be adopted from foster care in the United States.”
Did You Know – Facts and Numbers
Facts are taken from a recent report posted by the Administration for Families and Children, a branch within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Resources.
- Over 123,000 children and youth are waiting to be adopted. They are also at risk of aging out of foster care without permanent family connections. (AFCARS report)
- Of the 123,000 children and youth waiting to be adopted:
- 52% are male
- 48% are female
- 22% are African American
- 22% are Hispanic
- 44% are Caucasian
- The average age is eight years old
- 11% are between 15 and 17 years old
- The average time in foster care is 31 months
- Approximately one in five children in the U.S. foster care system waiting to be adopted are teens.
- Only 5 percent of all children adopted in 2017 were 15 – 18 years old.
- The risk of homelessness and human trafficking is increased for teenagers in foster care.
TC Celebrates by Offering Free Childcare
As a nanny agency who is dedicated and committed to helping families and children thrive, we support this day with something special.
In honor of National Adoption Day, we are giving 5 hours of FREE childcare to any Phoenix family in our agency that has an adopted child or is a foster parent. Enjoy a date night or a mom’s night out, because you deserve it!
If you want to take advantage of this, please reach out to by emailing email@example.com.
This offer is only valid for care used on November 23rd.